- Green Growth
- Your Consultant
|Nguyen The Hiep has rented out cheap rooms near the National Children’s Hospital for about 20 years. - VNA/VNS Photo|
The fire killed two people and damaged 20 houses.
Owner Nguyen The Hiep, 71 years old, is not permitted to leave his residence during the investigation.
He was accused of “violating regulations on fire fighting and prevention” after the initial investigation found that a fire started at his house due to an electrical fault on a circuit.
The fire spread quickly and damaged 20 neighbouring houses, displacing 99 people. Those who were staying in his houses - mostly patients and caregivers - were also affected, losing assets and possessions.
One couple from the northern province of Phu Tho died in the fire. They rented a room from Hiệp so they could be close to their sick baby, who is being treated at the National Children’s Hospital.
Hiep has been renting out cheap rooms for patients and caregivers for 20 years. Most of the rooms are as cheap as VND15,000 (US$0.64) per night.