As previously reported , the ship, owned by Nguyen Quoc Phong, 30, of Quang Loc Commune, Quang Trach district. Quang Binh province sank at 4 am on December 30, five days after it left the Quang Trach seashore for a fishing trip.
Two rescue ships were sent to the scene, but due to violent waves and strong winds, rescuers faced a lot of difficulties.
Of the victims, four are brothers in a family.
Nguyen Huu Hoai, Chairman of the People's Committee of Quang Binh told reporters that he had directed all concerning units and departments to postpone New year holidays, though it is unlikely that the 13 remaining sailors are still alive since two days have passed.
However, efforts to find the victims are being maintained, he said.
Dau Minh Ngoc, Chairman of Quang Trach District, said in the afternoon of Dec 31, the National Search and Rescue Committee and the Ministry of Defense mobilized marine police boats from Hon Ngu (Nghe An province) in search and rescue 13 missing seamen.
The Air Defense Air Force Division also sent aircraft AN-26 from Gia Lam Airport to participate in rescue operation. A plane from Military Zone 5 joined in the search.
However, so far the salvaging forces have not detected any hope. Quang Binh border forces have decided to stop holiday to search for missing fishermen
After nearly 2 days of search, rescuers have found the first body of the 14 fishermen who have gone missing after their ship sank off Quang Binh Province’s Quang Trach District on December 30.
The body is of Mai Khuong Duy, 27, who was a fisherman in Con Se Hamlet, Quang Loc Commune.
Duy’s body was discovered at 5 pm yesterday by a fishing boat 2 nautical miles from the area where the ship reportedly sank.
According to Colonel Phuc, the ship of Nguyen Sy ( from Quang Loc commune , Quang Trach district) found the body of Mai Khuong Duy in the situation that the body of Duy is tied to the mast of the sunken boat.
Fishermen also found some debris of sunken ship near river estuaries Gianh.
In the review of Colonel Phuc, the fishermen often use ropes to tie themselves on the ship to avoid being washed away.
Beside Duy, the forces of Quang Binh deployed along the coast have not seen the any more other body washed ashore.
So far no other signs of the remaining missing fishermen were found despite great rescue efforts.
By 6 pm yesterday night, all ships that had taken part in the rescue temporarily stopped their efforts, Phuc said.
The sunken ship will be salvaged from the sea today, January 1, 2013, he said.
As previously reported, Border guards and residents in central Quang Binh province have tried all means find the 14 fishermen who are still missing after their ship sank on Sunday.
Due to violent waves and strong winds, rescuers face a lot of difficulties in searching for the victims, said Nguyen Hoai Nam, head of the Cua Lach control station of the Gianh Port Border Guard Station on the Gianh River.
Strong waves and winds of 63-87 kph pushed back rescue boats, preventing them from approaching the scene where the ship reportedly sank, he said.
The only information about the ship in distress has come from a number of other fishing boats that were operating near the scene.